To my surprise - not long at all. I spent a couple of hours or so making sure my endstops were all in order and tuning in my stepper drivers. Then my 1st print was ok!

A handful of prints taught me how to manually wind down the head a fraction when the print starts until the spread of plastic is as to my preference, and that's it.

My bed is on adjustable spring screws and I only really have to level it when changing glass, or maybe once a week otherwise. I have auto bed levelling all set up on the hardware side but haven't found a need to actually activate it yet!

I don't obsess with the head height. I start a print which always gives the skirt a round filament - as it's printing the skirt I twist both threaded rods to drop the head until the plastic is squished a bit, and then that's it. I'm happier doing that than spending ages trying to get the endstop at the perfect place, or tune the z offset in the software. Can't see the point when the manual method is so simple, and you always have to be there at the start of a print anyway...

I guess I've been lucky with the rest. No blobbing, oozing, etc etc.

ABS was a pain to learn, but that's mostly down to print room temperature.