Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that's pretty cool.
    Seems like the screens are doing almost as much as the motherboards these days.

I thought the mumu just fed the extruder on the printer - didn't realise it had to move around as well !
    But you 'could' build a simple up and down frame seperate from the printer, though if you have a direct drive extruder on the printer itself - why does the mumu need to move about ?

As far as processors go - both intel and amd do the cores with double threads thing.
    As far as performance goes - amd have always been ahead.
    What intel do is they pay the big manufacturers a lot of money to use their processors. At one point if you used intel cpus intel were paying 50% of all your advertising costs that mentioned 'intel inside'.

To be fair I have built a few intel machines recently actually.
    Got some unused mini-itx boards that had been removed from unsold computers. So all brand new kit, but second hand.
    The board, 4gb of ram and an i3 cpu were £25 delivered :-)
    The boards are mini network server boards and when new - the board alone - would have been in excess of £100.
    So the 'server' that runs my k40 laser is made from one and my current workshop disk cloning, data recovery machine, also uses one and I built a cheap base unit for a client with one as well.

Since amd stopped making the am1 cpus - my previous source of cheap mini-itx systems - this is the best deal I've come across.

But over the years I've seen and benchmarked thousands of machines and amd always come out best both for speed and reliability.
    Ati cards do tend to be faster than nvidia and run cooler - but the nvidia software has always been a lot more stable. So On average for good graphics cards I generally go for nvidia.
    But for normal useage the ati on chip graphics is much better than the intel on motherboard chipsets.

I've always found it interesting that amd have never advertised - well at least not that I've ever seen :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-03-2019 at 05:55 AM.