Hiram, I'd say you're getting off topic... But well, you aren't really. The word "Utopia" brings up all kinds of other sticky subjects right from the beginning that probably didn't need to be discussed on a technology board in the first place.

In general, I find the concept of a Utopia to be anathema to morality. If there is no choice that can be made but the "right" one, there is no longer a choice being presented. Without the freedom to make a wrong choice, one cannot give value to making the right choice, they instead become automatons. By comparison, a post-scarcity economy still requires choices to be made, skills to be developed, and work to be done, if only of the creative variety. People would still have drama, but the likes of which make our current First World Problems look daunting by comparison.

As for mankind hating God... Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say that the more I learn about the universe through science, the more I love the mysterious force that who brought it all into being. If someday we solve every mystery, science will not make the god you fear so much, but it will find the same one you believe in.