Close

Engineer

Chart: Types of 3D Printing Technology

It can be incredibly confusing to really keep track of the various different types of 3D printing technology out there. Most people unfamiliar with the industry think that 3D printers are made with one particular technology, but in fact these printers feature 7 different techniques to build 3D objects. Based on your needs one printing technology will likely be more suitable to you than others. Having said this, pricing can vary substantially. Here is a quick chart which will show you the various different 3D Deposition processes, the Sintering methods, and the technologies and materials that can be used with those technologies. Hopefully this clears things up a little bit. The main thing to take away here is that 3D printers are not all created the same. Some of this technology is still patented, while others have had their patents expire. In addition new techniques are constantly being explored. Some abbreviations which are good to know to read the chart are:

DMLS - Direct Metal Laser Sintering
    FDM - Fused Deposition Modelling
    FFF - Fused Filament Fabrication
    SLA - Stereolithography
    SLS - Selective Laser Sintering
    LOM - Laminated Object Manufacturing

There are a lot of technologies on there I didn't even know existed. I'm gonna go research some of these. What exactly is Glue Laminate, or for that matter Laminated Type all together?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Thanks for posting this Larry. What a great way to get an overall view of the technology. But hey, that's what flowcharts are good for anyway. I didn't realize that FDM was classified as "Jetting" farther up the hierarchy.

I think laminated type is say like, plywood. I'd guess it's the most simple and traditional "additive" technology. It probably involves layering. I could imagine that some cutting or die cutting could be involved as a post process. Just guessing.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Good chart, thanks.

It doesn't include EDM (Emulsifiable Deposition Modeling) - printing at room temperature in clay, plah-doh, sugru rubber, plasticine, RTV silicone, precious metal clay, etc.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Good chart, thanks.

It doesn't include EDM (Emulsifiable Deposition Modeling) - printing at room temperature in clay, plah-doh, sugru rubber, plasticine, RTV silicone, precious metal clay, etc.
    Agreed, that should go in the Jetting->Liquid Solidify catagory, also. Calling it EDM is a bit confusing, since the acronym is also used for Electrical Discharge Machining (The catagory that Plasma Cutters fall into). It has already become very important as the go-to method for very large scale printing of concrete items like houses.

There are also more exotic techniques for printing in metal that are far outside of this chart, (also I don't know the exact terms for them.) One that is effectively a selective anodization process, one that involves the deposition of a stream of ionized metal particles along an electron beam, and one that's an arc welder attached to a robot arm.