right !
we have progress :-)

Some idiot had not installe the module correctly.
when i find him I'll give him a right good kicking ! ;-)

Anyway, once i decided to chck and then fitted it correctly - not only did my sdcard reader start working again, but the firmware installed for the wifi module.

No networks showed - which i was expecting, my house signal is weak in my workshop and the module is in a steel box on top of a fridge :-)

Then I had a thought and set up a wifi hotspot on my phone - picked it up straight away and connected.
Wahey it works !

So then I happened to notice that windows 10 allows you to generate it's own hotspot local wifi network.
So I did that and can now connect the printer wirelessly directly to the computer.

Now it gets interesting.

When you access the printer via the ip address you get a simple screen which offers you the chance to select html or set the modules own access point info.

I cannot find any ingotmation on html to upload to the mocule to create a useful web menu.
I do - vaguely - remember doing something similiar for the mini delta. But whil itlet you print via wifi - it did not let you upload a file to the sd card.
To my mind the main reason for having wifi.

So in one respect - 100% success.
In another - totally bloody useless :-)

There is an mks add-in for cura, but as I don't use cura that's no use to me.

Can't find any html frontends for the mks wifi module and mks just use github - which I find almost impossible to ever get any sense out of.

No way that I can see of connecting simplify3d to it, I'll look into prusaslicer later - should have a couple days workshop time this week.

But if anyone has any idea how to proceed from here - I'd really like to know :-)