Close

Hybrid View

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    All this said, He is looking for a plastic model. I did a bunch of searches on the Chiron (but not the R8 nor the Mclaren), and could not find a plastic kit model. He might be an enthusiast that wants these cars in his collection, but cannot find a manufacturer of them, hence his questions. My answer in this scenario.... wait till somebody makes one. I doubt that nobody hasn't made an R8 model yet though, it's been out for about 10 years or so. The Chiron is relatively new. But I'd rather have a Veyron . Of course, if I could afford a Veyron....

And if you're looking for a high quality model of an existing item, 3d printing really isn't the best medium anyways. Yes, there are some fantastic prints out there in high detail, but not in the way your asking. Those are going to be some really really fine details the printer would have to replicate, and I think was mentioned, SLA may be your only choice for that level of detail. I'm not too familiar with the processes, but I'm under the impression SLA suffers from weakness of parts on the small scale. Hinges would break, edges wouldn't look just right, etc.

If you're hardcore about making your own model from scratch.... well, it'll cost ya as mentioned. I could recommend sculpting the body parts out of foam yourself from drawings, and then 3d scanning it, and then having a skilled modeller touch it, but that's a lot of leg work, and then you'd still have to find the drawings. Or possibly maybe finding a 6d CNC machine and doing the hole thing out of blocks of plastic or aluminum. But I guess it falls back to just waiting for a production kit to come out.

Student
    Add CarterTG on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    All this said, He is looking for a plastic model.
    In Kubikdanon's two posts so far, nothing seems to suggest he was specifically looking for a plastic model kit (Revell/Monogram/Tamiya). Both plastic and die-cast metal models in the hobby world sport a high level of detail. Die-cast versions might have more articulating parts: opening trunks, hoods, doors, etc over its plastic kit equivalent.

What does seem concrete is his posted preference for scale... specifically 1:18. Die-cast metal car models coalesce toward certain scales.
    1:64 Matchbox, Hotwheels
    1:43 Minichamps
    1:18 BBurago, Maisto, AutoArt, Kyosho

Plastic snap/glue kits are scaled all over the place, but for the most part, they tend to avoid the die-cast scales. What I remember from my hobby days are plastic kits sticking to
    1:25
    1:16
    1:12
    1:8

If Kubikdanon's already got a collection of 1:18 he wants to add to, my bets are his existing stuff is predominantly die-cast metal models. The Audi R8 and McLaren 570 (and aforementioned Chiron) have been available as existing 1:18 die-cast models.

YouTube has a bunch of enthusiasts who claim they can customize existing die-cast models, but watching a few of their clips, it's disappointing to realize they're just doing cosmetic fluff like window decals, a paint job, or at most slapping on some fiberglass (or Bondo) to do fender flares.

None of them have elevated to offering 3D prototyping to make truly customized parts. If that is the OP's intent, it's worth pursuing. 3D prototyping would create super-crisp detail in windshield wipers, antenna fins, steering wheels, aero bodyworks and custom wheels.

The point of Stereolithography (SLA) isn't to directly use the resin parts. The tech has been around since the 80's and employed by the likes of Ford Motor Company, dentists, Bvlgari, and lots others to prototype the investment model used in casting into production materials. The library of materials continues to expand where there are resins of varied characteristics. Some resins are now directly used for dental application, other resins can print into highly flexible material, and still others are formulated for speedy prototyping (10cm/hour) of reasonably sturdy parts.