This is something I think a lot of people in the 3d printing industry have missed. 3D Systems recently (March 24) began shipping their latest ProJet 3D printer. The ProJet 1200, which is a Micro-SLA 3D Printer. It can only print very small objects, with a minimal build size of (1.69 x 1.06 x 7.086 in). However, it prints almost as good as some of the large 3D Systems ProJet printers that sell for a lot more money. 3D Systems seems to be targeting at home users, who would put something like this in their workshop, or garage, and small business owners.

The printer prints with a layer thickness of 30 microns (0.03mm), and a 585 dpi print resolution. It uses LED DLP technology for the great resolution. They advertise that it is great for printing jewelry, dental restorations, models and more. It also prints a lot faster than the typical fdm printers out there today (14 mm/hour vertical)

The printer is very small (about the size of a coffee maker) - 8 inches X 8 inches X 13 inches high.

I believe this is the future. If this printer is only $4,900 now, I'm guessing that in 5 years from now we could get the same thing for $1500 or so (less than most FDM printers today).

Here are some videos showing what it can do. Definitely worth watching.

I'm so tempted to get one of these. If the build size was larger I would definitely get it.