Close

Hybrid View

Yes, parametric is awesome

but

What you describe isn't what defines parametric software. A truly parametric methodology involves inter-design dependencies. You will only really get into that when you start a top-down approach that relies on article/product parameters that govern and control subsequent stage stages.

In a nutshell, you design a product. This can be a single item or an assembly. This governs all down-stream parts and assemblies required for manufacture, testing, etc. Change the product and all down-stream parts will adjust accordingly, including drawing and other documentation.

Student
    Hmm, well I took parametric to mean the way in which you access data points to define/redefine them. That is that you can edit a database of interdependent data to change or modify one data point to define/redefine an object.

Even so, the threaded thingamabob is a parametric design in that it is two objects, a tapered cylinder and a tapered coil, bound together by an inner to outer face. The coil an cylinder are defined as a single body in Fusion. Those two objects can have a fixed or dynamic relationship depending how they are bound.

The ability to re-use an object or 2d sketch, such as concentric circles, to create additional objects is, another example of parametric design? So a much better alternative to creating a wye (than I used) would be to define two concentric circles, grab the space between them and extrude around an axis to create a 90 degree sweep and then grab the same area and do a second extrude along an axis. From there delete the wall of the second tube where it intersects the inner wall of the first extrude (gotta love programmer magic!). Et voila, basic wye defined.

I love parametric modeling.

Edit: Oooh! Oooh, I forgot the bestest part. Made a mistake in the wall thickness? go back and change the diameter of one of the circles and the whole model adjusts.
    Last edited by fredk; 12-22-2016 at 11:34 AM.