Close

Hybrid View

Technician
    Hi All,

Well first attempt at applying kapton tap, tried the mist spray idea and all looked good until bed heated up and the evaporation caused bubbles everywhere, build plate looked like a piece of bubble wrap.

Next attempt putting tap on cold bed, umm like this truly was a nightmare and wasn't happy with result.

Both first two attempts done with heatbed out of the machine.

Third attempt I left the 2nd attempts kapton in place, heated the bed to 100 degs, turned off heating and then just lifted kapton off one halk and re-applied just using finger pressure to smooth it out, then repeated task for other half of bed.

What did I learn.....Much simpler to take bed out, put on kapton roughly then put back in machine, heat bed and simple as to smooth off, not even the slightest crease or bubble anywhere.

One last thing of importance if trying this method, buy a pair of superfine cotton gloves, I didn't have any and lets just say fingies got rather warm.

Anyway it worked and never wasted a single piece of kapton tape.
    Cheerss

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    Hi All,

Well first attempt at applying kapton tap, tried the mist spray idea and all looked good until bed heated up and the evaporation caused bubbles everywhere, build plate looked like a piece of bubble wrap.

Next attempt putting tap on cold bed, umm like this truly was a nightmare and wasn't happy with result.

Both first two attempts done with heatbed out of the machine.

Third attempt I left the 2nd attempts kapton in place, heated the bed to 100 degs, turned off heating and then just lifted kapton off one halk and re-applied just using finger pressure to smooth it out, then repeated task for other half of bed.

What did I learn.....Much simpler to take bed out, put on kapton roughly then put back in machine, heat bed and simple as to smooth off, not even the slightest crease or bubble anywhere.

One last thing of importance if trying this method, buy a pair of superfine cotton gloves, I didn't have any and lets just say fingies got rather warm.

Anyway it worked and never wasted a single piece of kapton tape.
    Cheerss
    Thanks for the tip, I have not tried to half do it and then heat it and smooth it out, I tried to get it perfect before I put it back on the machine, and yeah its a pain, I get my wife to hold the roll of tape tight and I smooth it out.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com