Close

Threaded View

Food 3D Printing aka Food Fabbing

There has been very interesting activity on the digital fabrication of edible products for quite some time, as part of the overall digital fabrication phenomenon. In the mid to late 2000's there were different initiatives such as the research technology Fab@Home, Makerbot's frostruder and the project CandyFab (candyfab.org). Today there are many relatively small but solid projects from both startups (for example check the work by Natural Machines) and industry leaders (3D Systems' Chefjet will launch later this year) that show how people are taking food design to the next level using what we call "3D printing" technologies.
    I invite this community to join the conversation in this area that will potentially affect everyone. After all, as a Food Scientist (I am not joking) I know that food is something we all have an opinion on.
    Here is an excerpt of the "About" section of my blog (www.food-fabbing.com).
    The possibility of combining additive manufacturing and modern food technology is incredibly exciting. The development of such food 3D printing techniques -or that we call Food Fabbing- can help to evolve food sourcing, processing, design and distribution. This offers the opportunity to advance the human project as part of the current transformation of our complex global food system.
    I have been involved in food technology and design during three decades, striving to improve the delivery of this most basic human need. At the same time, imagining and creating a future of technological advance and human achievement has always been a passion for me.

--->So, what do you think, does food 3D printing have potential? Would you eat out of a 3D printer? What current issues with food would you like resolved with 3D printers?
    Last edited by ajperez; 09-13-2014 at 09:09 PM.