Quote Originally Posted by longjohn119 View Post
I used 3D Benchy to calibrate my bed temps for PLA. Basically you look at the lower part of the bow and it should a nice clean slope. If the bed temps are too high then it will warp or bow a little there. I came up with for first layer/rest of 65/60 for most PLA and 70/65 for eSun PLA+ although your's may be higher. I have a Pegasus 10 full metal with bed extenders which I modified to about 11 mm gap below the PCB and have 10 mm of cork (2 5mm pieces) trimmed so it lies flat, topped with a 1 mm layer of ceramic 'felt' insulation and the PCB heater sits on that and the glass and clips pushes it down firmly (But not too firmly) I also ditched the mechanical relay for an SSR with PID control which all together seemed to give me more consistent temperatures especially around the edges. I also have auto bed leveling with an 8mm inductive probe which works with just the PCB traces and hardware store glass but would be pushing it for 3 mm boro glass. Although those probes don't sense copper very well the PCB heater itself is a big inductor (technically a flat wirewound resistor with inherent inductance like all wirewound resistors) so I get about a 5mm sensing range rather than the 8 mm advertised. It works every time flawlessly and I haven't had to do any tweaking since I got it set up properly back in August.

Can you describe your probe setup a bit more in-depth? It may be best if it were it's own thread. A probe intrigues me but I thought you had to have a metal bed to make them work. My servo mounted probe is getting inconsistent.