Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hybrid View

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I like the AlignG for bed leveling but find it a bit of a pricey mod just for that.
    So I am wondering what else I can do with it. Any ideas?
    It would already add some value if I could detect the neighborhood cat that enters the garden sometimes and starts digging into the flower boxes.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    thanks for the answers dsayan.
    I see how it works - it doesn't matter how far from the bed it is - because it lets you set the same distance at all points on the bed.
    And then you zero the device for future calibrations.
    That by itself would really help, particularly with the machine with three central levelling knobs.

Any idea what the postage to the uk will be ? presumably that's added to the actual kickstarter price ?

Senior Engineer
    If it works and is stable there is no reason why the signals from it cannot be used to make the Z axis closed loop at all heights rather than just using it for level at the start.

Now that would be an improvement as you could also vary layer height per layer, within the layer, dynamically if you needed to.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    as you could also vary layer height per layer, within the layer, dynamically if you needed to.
    and in english ?

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    and in english ?
    Make a layer tapered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Make a layer tapered.
    That what a slicer is for. With Simplify 3D, you can define set layer thickness at different heights. I know you are talking about changes within a layer, but I don't see how that can be accomplished without the slicer telling the controller where to change the height at a specific point.

I would not trust an instrument like this to establish your z height and use it as a feedback loop for now. If you calibrated your steps per mm accurately, there is no reason to do what you are saying unless you are skipping steps. A servo motor control would be a better option. I am not sure if most firmware even have the ability to use a closed feedback to adjust heights. I mainly use reprap and I don't believe it has the ability, but I may be wrong.
    Last edited by ShadowX; 10-27-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Senior Engineer
    You need to sort out your quoting and your original text, your posts are too long and confusing.

Sound velocity varies with frequency. Air does not always act adiabatically and that makes the velocity change slightly.

Anyway, I am not trying to tell you it won't work I am really just interested to see if you can do it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    You need to sort out your quoting and your original text, your posts are too long and confusing.

Sound velocity varies with frequency. Air does not always act adiabatically and that makes the velocity change slightly.

Anyway, I am not trying to tell you it won't work I am really just interested to see if you can do it or not.
    That is true. Unfortunately, when I receive a half a page long comment including 10 different question, I have to write a long response. I highly appreciate if everybody only targets a specific question to have a clearer discussion to learn from each other.

Air does not always act adiabatically and that makes the velocity change slightly. I totally agree with that. But I’m not sure If I understood your point about the frequency sweep. If you are talking about the dependence of the speed on the frequency in dispersive medium, that is not really relevant to our case. On the other hand, I’m not still sure if I understand where does the frequency variation coming from. Why should we have a frequency variation? Are you talking about the Doppler effect? Please be more specific about that question.

Senior Engineer
    There was no question other than "why are you quoting twice" in each response that you make. I was stating some of the easier to understand things that I think you will find hard to do.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I have seen discussions on bed leveling at several forums, you may want to reach out there to get more backers, for example the UM forum at https://ultimaker.com/en/community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234