The reason that there will be a printer in every home is quite simple.
Every home has hundreds of gadgets that have plastic parts, parts that break regularly.

And the manufacturers of these machines have to have warehouses full of palstic widgets, widgets that people could make at home. And if they buy the design from the company and use their own resin (these things will need to be cold resin based) the company takes that expensive people manned warehouse full of widgets and downsizes to a small server and has the customers pay for EVERYTHING.

The drm software exists, the server and database software definitely exists.
Nobody has yet built the right printer, but the creopop pen style technology is what is needed and some tougher rresins - all of which are current technology.

Nobody needs to make their own designs. But how much quicker to simply download a file and make your own replacement part.
THAT'S where the commercial meets the consumer.

Everyone I've told about what 3d printers can do has had things that broke, that cost a lot of money that could have been simply repaired with a printer.

That's why I think it will be within 10 years, the technology exists, it just needs someone to realise how it can be used to make a lot of money.

I'm prepared to accept consultancy fees, but lack the business drive to ever do it myself :-)