Close

Filament jam that I cannot fix, help please!

Sorry if this solution is posted somewhere, I am not sure what the part is called so I cannot search for this problem easily.

I have a stubborn bit of filament stuck that I cannot seem to break free. It is a small bit of filament that is in the housing that exists between the nozzle and motor.

I have a picture, which I cannot seem to attach, so you will have to go to this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...XF4VzE0a1lKSkE

The only thing I can think of is to remove the entire nozzle part. I have tried heating it to ush it through and it is just super stuck, it is too small to grab with pliers.

Any idea what I should do? I have no clue how to remove the nozzle block.

Also, what the heck is the name of that thing?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by cmousseau View Post
    Sorry if this solution is posted somewhere, I am not sure what the part is called so I cannot search for this problem easily.

I have a stubborn bit of filament stuck that I cannot seem to break free. It is a small bit of filament that is in the housing that exists between the nozzle and motor.

I have a picture, which I cannot seem to attach, so you will have to go to this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...XF4VzE0a1lKSkE

The only thing I can think of is to remove the entire nozzle part. I have tried heating it to ush it through and it is just super stuck, it is too small to grab with pliers.

Any idea what I should do? I have no clue how to remove the nozzle block.

Also, what the heck is the name of that thing?
    I think the bottom part is usually called the heater block comprised of the nozzle, PTFE tube, Throat, thermocouple and heater cartridge.
    Here is a video showing nozzle replacement on a similarly designed printer. Sorry, but I don't know where one is for the FFCP.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eR23r0zgkU
    Hope this is of some help.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by cmousseau View Post
    I have a picture, which I cannot seem to attach...
    Moderator comment: The problem may have been the image size. Like most forums, 3DPrintBoard won't accept the high-res image files typical from most digital cameras these days. Reducing the image to something like 800x600 pixels before uploading is usually a fair compromise. Where high resolution detail is necessary, hosting the image external to 3DPrintBoard is the way to go.

EDIT: For uploaded images, 3DPrintBoard defaults to just providing a thumbnail size image that users click on to enlarge. That default can be over-ridden by double-clicking on the image after it is embedded into your edit post window, and then selecting the full-size option in the pop-up dialogue that appears.
    Last edited by printbus; 10-06-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    You have to remove the heat break from the heater block at the end. The hold it with a pair of pliers and heat up. If it is ABS you can immerse it in acetone.

Quote Originally Posted by iDig3Dprinting View Post
    You have to remove the heat break from the heater block at the end. The hold it with a pair of pliers and heat up. If it is ABS you can immerse it in acetone.
    I am not sure what you are saying, what is the heat break? The block that has the nozzle attached to it, is that the heater block? I have removed the nozzle and tried de-clogging it like I would normally do by heating it all up, but that is not working at all. That little bit of filament, which is PLA, is stupid stuck.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    The nozzle, usually brass, screws into a rectangular shaped block that heats up (heat block). Opposite to where the nozzle screws in on the other side is a steel threaded tube, like a hollow nut, this also unscrews from the heat block on the other side. It looks like your PLA has got stuck in this, from what I can tell from your photo. If you unscrew this you can then hold that with a pair of pliers and heat it up with a lighter. The other end of the heat block seems to be screwed into that long metal block.

Heating the hotend to about 100C will help you detach/unscrew parts which may have got a bit stuck. But remember this will mean you will have to be very careful not to burn yourself.

It is also a good idea to try and clean the core with some lint free cloth as you can get carbon deposits from where you have heated the pla.

PLEASE NOTE: As we don't have you printer in front of us, please be aware that our advice may not apply to your extruder set up.