Close

Thread: Simplify3D

Threaded View

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I had the same trepidation. I used Cura alot. I got the best prints I ever produced from KissSlicer. But with KS you have to use SD cards only. It doesn't support USB and I like printing via USB. I even got brave and dove headlong into Skeinforge. Man does it have a poorly designed GUI. But, if you are persistent, you can do about anything you can imagine. I used Slic3r a lot too especially once it had the Pronterface integration. What I yearned for more was a 3d preview and interface that was more helpful and intuitive. I was also looking for "manual" support creation. I tried Meshmixer and it's supports are kind of cool but you have to get pretty good with all of those angled and intersecting supports or they just don't print, fall down or don't help.

I then ran across S3D. I did a lot of reading and like you found a bunch of complaints about this and that. Then I specifically started looking for complaints about Cura and Slic3r and realized that all of them have a bunch of issues. S3D seemed to have fewer and they seemed to be isolated to a few specific things. I contacted S3D and asked about a demo and learned, like you, that there isn't one. But, their tech support is really good. They'll answer any question and I don't mean some "bot" answer. They respond pretty quickly and will walk you through anything. I have no vested interest in S3D and am not affiliated with them. I just wanted to say that because this sounds so much like a sales pitch. But, finally, I decided to bite the bullet. I've never felt like I wasted a dime. You don't have to worry about anything close to a dumpster.

So, if you ever get frustrated with slicers and want something a little different and a bit friendlier, consider S3D one more time. You'll be glad you did, really. If not, I'll refund your investment by offering some of my 3d or animation services to you that equal $200. As you know, professional 3d modeling and animation can get expensive. That's how much I like this slicer. (Note: I won't do this for everyone...lol...but I will for you 'ssayer'. That's because I know I won't ever need to pay your back.) If you search, you'll find a few more posts from very savvy users that love it too. When inexperienced users post that they don't like a particular product I have to take it with a grain of salt. But, when power users tout something, I generally respect that they've been around the block and know what they are talking about. Having read a few of their reviews of S3D, my decision was made.

I'm chuckling, I had to go look at the thread title to make sure I wasn't way off track. I tend to get wordy and carried away here sometimes. Thankfully it's titled "Simplify3D". So to wrap up, I know there are a lot of good, free and powerful slicers for us to choose from. Open-source is fantastic and welcomed. But, sometimes you do get what you pay for and with S3D, you get more.
    Last edited by RobH2; 12-05-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com