Close

Hybrid View

I think we (society) is dumping too much on teachers and the education system and abandoning the roles of family and industry. I was reading in my Saturday newspaper that the Australian Securities and Investments Commission wants consumer and financial literacy embedded in the core curriculum from the first year of primary (elementary) school.

This as well as trying to teach little ones how to behave in the classroom society, remember which lunchbox is theirs, plus a little bit of the 3 Rs.

Is it little wonder that children in the US, Britain and Australia are falling behind in basic literacy and numerical skills.

Old Man Emu

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Is it little wonder that children in the US, Britain and Australia are falling behind in basic literacy and numerical skills.
    So many of my friends are stupid...

I've done my best to teach myself skills beyond what the schools here would.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    So many of my friends are stupid... I've done my best to teach myself skills beyond what the schools here would.
    Hey! Hey! Watch what you are saying. Your friends are not stupid. They are just uneducated in the areas in which you have educated yourself. Never say that someone is stupid. You don't know where their abilities lie. I could be called stupid by a musician because I can't play a musical instrument. I'm always calling my son stupid because he hardly knows which end of a wrench to hold, but I do. However, he calls me stupid because I don't know how to set up and run a computer-based communications system, which is his area of specialty.

I've taught myself lots of things that other people don't have the need or desire to learn. Does that make them stupid and me smart? No!

My argument with education systems is that they fail to lay the foundations of numeracy and written communication which are essential for expanding the areas of learning a child can enter as they grow older.

Old Man Emu

Your friends are not stupid.

You misunderstand me and take me too seriously.
    Sometimes I foret that people here don't really know my background.

I attend a 'Special-Ed' school. This literally means that half my peers have no hope of ever becoming anything because they physically can't learn.

I feel as if we're getting off track here.

stu·pid

adjective

lacking intelligence or common sense.

You misunderstand me and take me too seriously. Sometimes I foret that people here don't really know my background. I attend a 'Special-Ed' school. This literally means that half my peers have no hope of ever becoming anything because they physically can't learn.
    Please let an old man say something without us getting into a flaming match.

Saying that your peers have no hope of becoming anything because they can't learn (for whatever reason) is the first step towards supporting Eugenics. The Nazis in Germany took Eugenics several steps further and said that the physically and mentally handicapped were a burden on society, so they killed them off. Would you really like to see the people you attend your Special-Ed school with, taken away and given a lethal injection like some stray mongrel dog?

Your school mates might not be destined to win Nobel prizes, but they have been given the gift of Life and should be supported in ways that lets them enjoy the gift. Too many people have been robbed of the chance to do just this.

You seem to have benefited greatly from your chance to attend a Special Ed school. Maybe you are not as handicapped as the rest, so give the others your support and be happy that they have had some sort of chance at life.

Now let's get back to printing sh!t.

Old Man Emu

Now let's get back to printing sh!t.
    Now that we're back to relevant topics, have some 3d-printed skin, free of charge.
    No hard feelings.

download.jpg

Now that we're back to relevant topics, have some 3d-printed skin, free of charge.
    No hard feelings.

download.jpg
    You are too young to have heard: "Skin me, Daddy-O"

(Means "to shake hands")

OME