Close

Buying my 1st 3D printer + doubts with filaments

Hello!

I'm really interested in getting into 3D printing because of some personal projects that I have (engineering projects mainly). I heard about carbon fiber, polycarbonate filaments and its properties, but it seems that not all the printers in the market (because of the nozzle I think if I read correctly) are able to print in those materials.

Is there any 3D printer under or around (preferably under of course) 1000€ that is able to print in those materials with decent quality? And what do you think about those kind of filaments, are they any good handling stress like for making a bicycle frame or a similar project?
    Last edited by EdT4; 09-05-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi there!
    Some printers are better suited for these materials than others.
    I recommend the Lulzbot TAZ 4 because of print volume and temperature range needed for printing with PC.
    You can purchase one here for just over 1000 euros: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LulzBot-TAZ.../dp/B00JXQZ8CC
    Carbon fiber filaments will work with most filament extruders - you have to replace the nozzle with a stainless steel or hardened copper one.
    Bear in mind that these parts will be much weaker than their injection molded counterparts and structurally need to be compared more to a composite or even to wood because of the layered and fibrous nature of the material - impact and stress resistance is highly dependent on the orientation of the print. I would say it is possible to 3D print structural parts this way but you will need a lot more material and thus weight and reinforce the outside with for example an epoxy or polyester resin for impact forces.
    What you can also do is 3D print parts to serve as a mold for hand fiberglass or CF lay-up.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what he said - any printer can use the carbon fibre infused filaments.

They are slightly stiffer than non-carbon fibre filaments. That's pretty much it. Ive tried a few and not noticed any major differences to normal pla.
    And you can print small runs with normal brass nozzle. But if you were going to use them extensively then you'd need a stainless steel nozzle.