Close

Thread: Black ABS

Hybrid View

Here's a fun fact:

The FF black ABS may not actually be ABS!

I thought I would make some slurry from the useless stuff, seeing as how there is no way I am going to load it back in my machine.

So I cut up about (10) 1" pieces of filament and put them in a glass jar with acetone.

Anyone who has made slurry knows what should happen.

The attached pictures show what actually happened and were taken 24 hours afterwards, even after vigorous shaking. Notice that the acetone is still nearly clear.

FFabs1.jpg FFabs2.jpg

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
    Here's a fun fact:

The FF black ABS may not actually be ABS!

I thought I would make some slurry from the useless stuff, seeing as how there is no way I am going to load it back in my machine.

So I cut up about (10) 1" pieces of filament and put them in a glass jar with acetone.

Anyone who has made slurry knows what should happen.

The attached pictures show what actually happened and were taken 24 hours afterwards, even after vigorous shaking. Notice that the acetone is still nearly clear.

FFabs1.jpg FFabs2.jpg
    Holy crap... that would explain the strange orange resin type substance in it... agreed, I am not putting mine back in my machine. I was wondering what on earth I am going to do with the roll I have, but with all the parts I build that use ABS pins, I might just use it for actual pinning rather than printing... a lifetime supply of 1.75mm abs joint pins.. lol

Just an update to my issue, Flashforge did replace my bad roll, and it was shipped here super fast at no cost to myself - you really cannot complain with that at all. If you are going through amazon, Tang is your man.