Close

Threaded View

Technician

What do you suppose is causing this build issue?

I'm looking for some thoughts on what might be causing these build errors. These were taken on two separate Creators at the same time. Not sure if it's a design error or something off with the Creators? I first encountered this issue when printing at 50/75, 50c heated bed, .25 layer height, 1.75 PLA filament, 3 shells, 10% infill. I thought maybe I was going too fast so I decreased both machines down to 30/75 but the same issue resulted (these photos were from the 30/75 attempt). If I let these run long enough, the upper layers eventually "straighten" themselves out, but with such mistakes in the lower layers I end up with a model that has bumps and rough edges everywhere. Although I had bed leveling issues with the second creator, both machines seem to be leveling out quite well right now. Some other particulars -

- both models designed in Sketchup
    - both models checked for errors in netfabb and meshmixer. neither utility found errors
    - both models prepped for printing in Makerware. Makerware preview shows a perfectly built model on all layers
    - raft on both models built with a different colored PLA

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to use an infrared thermal gun (as curious ardvark recommended) to check for the accuracy of the bed temp. But these errors seem to be clear glitches in the g-code because they're causing the extruders to not keep a straight line in these particular areas. If I keep having this issue, I may try Rep G for g-code to see if I get the same issue.

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg
    Last edited by roykirk; 08-23-2014 at 12:23 AM.