Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Hey,

The length depends on on how you customize the hot end (ie. what "melt-zone" length you use). The approximate length is from about 52mm to 62mm.

I am in Toronto, so this hot end will ship from Canada. International shipping is included in the price of each perk so don't worry about that I use economical shipping. Also, I don't think you will have to pay any customs fees since it is not an item with high declared value.

Yeah, Zennmaster is a cool guy. I talked to him about my design and he is really happy to do a review.

I hope you will support my project!

Thanks,
    Eric

I notice the fan and the heater are 12v, have you got an option to substitute these for 24v. The MendelMax are all 24v system.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    How does it differ to this one ? and does yours come assembled?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ap-3d-printers

They are also doing a 500c model..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s/posts/695645
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-15-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Engineer
    Geoff i have been watching that pico for a while. It really looks like a beautiful hot end. The only thing thats holding me back is the fact they have the heater and block mounted vertical. This is going to make a large melt zone which will make drooling more of an issue and filament less precise to control.

Follow RP Iron Man On Twitter Add RP Iron Man on Facebook Add RP Iron Man on Google+ Add RP Iron Man on Thingiverse
    Prometheus comes as a kit so you would have to assemble it yourself.

Prometheus is VERY different from the Pico because we chose very different design decisions. The Pico has an uncontrolled "transition-zone" which leads to poor PLA printing. It also has a ridiculously long "melt-zone" which results in excess amounts of "ooze", as jimc stated. If you are curious about the Pico real-world performance, look at the review done by Richard Horne (well respected RepRap Core Developer) in his write up for the RepRap Magazine here: http://issuu.com/garyhodgson/docs/re...800691/7156572

Look at his hot end review starting on Page 43. The Pico looks great, but it does have a bunch of significant design flaws that offset the aesthetic beauty...

My hot end is designed to solve all of these problems. Just read through the the Prometheus campaign page and you will have all of the answers. Hot end design is engineering, not sorcery, and every aspect of Prometheus is fully engineered.

--------------

@mttr

As for the 24V compatibility, unfortunately I can only offer 12V systems at this point. If you are keen on supporting this project, I can get some 24V fans but you would need to supply the heater... Sorry about that, but that is the best I can do. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Eric

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    Prometheus comes as a kit so you would have to assemble it yourself.

Prometheus is VERY different from the Pico because we chose very different design decisions. The Pico has an uncontrolled "transition-zone" which leads to poor PLA printing. It also has a ridiculously long "melt-zone" which results in excess amounts of "ooze", as jimc stated. If you are curious about the Pico real-world performance, look at the review done by Richard Horne (well respected RepRap Core Developer) in his write up for the RepRap Magazine here: http://issuu.com/garyhodgson/docs/re...800691/7156572

Look at his hot end review starting on Page 43. The Pico looks great, but it does have a bunch of significant design flaws that offset the aesthetic beauty...

My hot end is designed to solve all of these problems. Just read through the the Prometheus campaign page and you will have all of the answers. Hot end design is engineering, not sorcery, and every aspect of Prometheus is fully engineered.

--------------

@mttr

As for the 24V compatibility, unfortunately I can only offer 12V systems at this point. If you are keen on supporting this project, I can get some 24V fans but you would need to supply the heater... Sorry about that, but that is the best I can do. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Good stuff! I am watching and waiting for some reviews, personally I can't see how it would fit into my flashforge so I might have to bow out purely on physical constraints.

Great News!

Thanks to all of the supporters! Prometheus is now fully funded!

I really appreciate all of the support from everyone in the 3D printing community. This hot end has great potential and thanks to you guys it will soon become a reality!

Now that the funding goal is behind us I am thinking about possible stretch goals to keep things rolling. Many people were asking about different nozzle sizes so I think that would make an appropriate stretch goal. I will need more funds to do a production run of a different nozzle size, so having more funds available would allow me to get started on this sooner.

I was debating between a smaller 0.25mm nozzle or a larger 0.6mm nozzle. A 0.25mm nozzle would be ideal for very detailed printing, while a 0.6mm nozzle would be great for faster printing and would also allow Prometheus to print Taulman T-Glase.

Let me know which optional nozzle size you guys would prefer in the comments!

Thanks again for all of the support!

Happy Printing

Eric

Hey Guys,

We are now well past the funding goal. Thanks so much to all of the supporters!

I have received a lot of input about possible stretch goals and I am currently weighing all of my options. Just so you guys know, I plan on offering BOTH 0.25mm and 0.6mm nozzles in the future, but I am just trying to get an idea of what people are more interested in.

I have also been asked about offering a bowden integrated heat sink. I realized that this is an important feature that many people would appreciate so I am working on a solution for this. I will likely offer an option of bowden or standard heat sink for all supporters before I start shipping. The bowden hot ends may ship a few weeks later than the standard hot ends. Anyway, I will be sure to let everyone know once I have all of the details sorted.

Let's keep this campaign going!

Happy printing :-)

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RP Iron Man View Post
    Hey Guys,

We are now well past the funding goal. Thanks so much to all of the supporters!

I have received a lot of input about possible stretch goals and I am currently weighing all of my options. Just so you guys know, I plan on offering BOTH 0.25mm and 0.6mm nozzles in the future, but I am just trying to get an idea of what people are more interested in.

I have also been asked about offering a bowden integrated heat sink. I realized that this is an important feature that many people would appreciate so I am working on a solution for this. I will likely offer an option of bowden or standard heat sink for all supporters before I start shipping. The bowden hot ends may ship a few weeks later than the standard hot ends. Anyway, I will be sure to let everyone know once I have all of the details sorted.

Let's keep this campaign going!

Happy printing :-)

Eric

Wishing ye luck on your campagne and your sales later on,

I personaly if i buy a new hotend i would look for a 0.25 and 0.5, So i can get both worlds, But not overkill as roundness of hooks go(0.6).
    That or a single head of 0.4.

Of course thats up to you to decide, Just saying what i would personaly prefer.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all of the ongoing support. The campaign is now over 140% funded!

A few updates for you all. I have slowly been receiving more of the parts for the Prometheus Kits. The small cooling fans and metric hardware just arrived and there are other parts on the way!

I have also been sorting out the stretch goals. I really want to offer both the 0.6mm and 0.25mm nozzle sizes, but in order to do so I need to have enough demand. For now I think it is better to offer the 0.6mm nozzle size as the first stretch goal. I understand that many of you were more interested in the 0.25mm nozzle size. However, the 0.25mm nozzle will require more testing due to the higher extrusion force so I think it is a better idea to start with a more user friendly nozzle size. A 0.6mm nozzle size will also allow you guys to print with Taulman T-Glase!

I am setting the stretch goal for the 0.6mm nozzle at $8000. We are half way through the campaign with $4300 funded so I think this is doable. I understand that this stretch goal is still a bit high, but this is the funding that I would require to be able to offer the 0.6mm nozzle in this campaign. Even if we don't meet this stretch goal I will still be offering BOTH the 0.6mm nozzle and the 0.25mm nozzle sizes soon after the campaign, so don't worry! Meeting this stretch goal will simply allow me to offer these extra nozzle sizes sooner :-)

Let's keep this campaign going so we can meet the stretch goal. Remember to spread the word as far as you can!

Happy printing!

Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast