Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
Don't forget you can save the point cloud data in free scan mode then use other software to create a final mesh.
I've tried that, and I used the Poisson reconstruction filter in Meshlab. Some parts look fine, and in some instances more detailed, but the algorithm used by Einscan is much better at filling in areas with missing data.

So after dedicating almost a whole weekend running various tests and making adjustments, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the Einscan software is very good at what it does, but it has problems resolving small details, in fact the smaller the scanned object is, the worse the output, but the larger it is, the better the output gets. Probably because it has much more defined (and simply many more) reference points for it's alignment and mesh reconstruction interpolations.

One thing left to explore is the INI file. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but when I get home tonight, I'll start fooling around with it. From the early look I saw that there are up to 7 steps it can use to project the pattern, but depending on the scan mode or lighting setup, it can use as little as 4 stage. Also there are values describing the pattern (width of each bar, edge blur, etc).

I need to dive into it a bit to see what it does.

maybe you can get more info on the pattern on the David forums ?

I'm not sure the patterns used by the David scanner would be of any use here. David relies on a single camera, and their patterns have both vertical and horizontal lines so the camera can see the deformation in 2 planes. The Einscan uses a pair of cameras producing a stereo image, so it only needs to see the vertical deformation.