Quote Originally Posted by This View Post
Getting sharp edges is something even the $100.000,- scanners still have trouble with, that's why there is some very expensive post processing software available to get the scan to it's original sharpness and shape.
you still have to do a lot of manual work.

The only way you can get sharper edges is scanning large size and shrinking to a smaller size.

You could also try Blender, I've seen some tutorials on how to sharpen edges with meshes, but you would need to redraw a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKABoq5sIEM
I've used Meshmixer to great effect to enhance and clean up scans, so I know how to do it, it's just that I was hoping to cut down some of that work.

The only way you can get sharper edges is scanning large size and shrinking to a smaller size.

Actually that doesn't really sharpen anything, all it does is make the edges "appear" sharper because the model (and the triangles) are smaller. If you need sharp edges you need to remesh the area. There's no substitute.

There is a filter in MeshLab that can globally sharpen a mesh by enhancing peaks and valleys, but it invariably makes the surface coarse. There's also an option in MeshMixer that's designed for smoothing, but you can input negative numbers and it becomes a "sharpening" tool, but it too leaves a lot to be desired.

So usually that leaves me with a lot of manual work.