Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
well it's a long running thing.

all iin one printers have had software on them for years that stops you photocopying money.

I know this because my test for a newly instelled printer at a clients used to be copying a £20 note.

Then one day a few years back It wouldn't do it. You just get crap come out. Everything else works fine, but on modern printers you just can't photocopy money anymore.

Plus with plastic printers you can always change the firmware to an older one.

Basically it's the same argument - nobody in the uk can print firearms without incurring the wrath of the men in black anyway.

And in the us you get real guns free i crackerjack boxes. So why worry :-)
Plus anything built into firmware can only be a database of parts they know about. design your own and it won't be in the database - so won't be effected.
I can confirm this, they still use microdotting in photocopiers to trace bank note copying. The machines I work on use the yellow toner to spray practically invisible microdot serial number identification. Anywhere there is white, if you get a microscope you can see the yellow microdots. This is how they track which machine copied the bank note. Considering 99.9 percent of photocopiers are under a management agreement, tracking them down is pretty easy.