Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

The biggest issue you are likely to run into is that the plastics we use in filaments all will "age" quickly in water. The dimensions will change and that likely will impact your part.

Bob
    what's your evidence for that ?
    Commercial parts in cisterns also age - why should 3d printed parts 'age' any quicker ?

It just seems like water will seep through the lines and break down over time.
    neither abs or pla are water soluble.
    Pla can be digested but you ned a 'hot' compost heat and the right bacteria to do it. For any purpose that isn't inside a hot compost heap - it's pretty bomb proof.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    what's your evidence for that ?
    Commercial parts in cisterns also age - why should 3d printed parts 'age' any quicker ?

Hi

Most parts that go into plumbing are made from PVC rather than ABS. The parts I printed from ABS that a few years back ... not so nice anymore. Nylon and moisture, same issue on a *lot* of parts. Gears, screws, all sorts of stuff change size over the years. The reason is moisture.

Bob

One last thing: for TEMPORARY liquid exposure to liquid solvents/chemicals, is nylon a safe bet? (e.g. the funnel example I mentioned)
    According to various charts I've seen- ABS doesn't withstand solvents well at all, not even for a moment. But I don't have direct experience with this yet.