Hi Andrew, Thank you for your reply. I think I can get away with putting a thin rubber sheet over the gun and use a vacuum to pull it onto the gun. This would solve a few problems. It would add the thickness of the rubber sheet to the model, which is a good thing for my purpose, and it would provide a mat surface for the laser to model. I think I'm really looking for a rotating table laser scanner. I am looking for advise on what is available hopefully from someone who has experience with using the machine and the software. I want to do more than one of these. Also after the scan of a revolver for example, I would want to remove the indents from the cylinder so the gun will fit the case without the cylinder being in the eaxct same rotation as when scanned. I have solidworks 2013 but don't know if I can modify the file created by the scanner. There will also be other changes like removing the opening for your trigger finger. Here is an image of what the resulting file needs to look like.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psncv6qfzd.jpg