Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
you think rep g is an i mprovement on anything ?

Wow ! flashprint must be truly bloody awful !

I don't think I actually got to the point of running a print in rep g. After 3 hours it was still only half way through slicing a lefab shop articulated elephant.

Makerware desktop did it in about 3 minutes. Simplify3d does it in about 10 seconds.

Makerware is much better than rep g.

Simplify3d is worth the money, but you can get by perfectly well with makerware. I also prefer to edit the custom profiles in makerware in notepad - the program you can get that does it for you, just caused me extra hassle.

As far as your question goes, I've never bothered to measure filament and it's never been an issue.
But both makerware and s3d have clear places to put the measurements - I have no idea what repg does. and I'm happy to say I never will :-)
Flashprint is basically the makerware source code with a slightly different UI, but it is the same program - they didn't even move the button positions.

I am liking S3D more these days as I use it for my large format machine, but it still is not as good a slicer as makerware. I recently did a job for a client where the only program that would slice the text on this medallion I was doing was makerware - S3D deemed it too thin and omitted parts of the mesh, yet makerware sliced and printed them with ease.