I tend to agree with you. If the reports are correct and a large majority of US households are poised to own 3d printers then we need to help foster the proper education about waste disposal. I can foresee a separate bin at each house at the curb that is for 3d waste only (business opportunity?). Or else, there needs to be a neat and easy to use filament recycler. The ones being developed are leading the way but they still look like wicked DYI mad scientist projects. Once someone designs one that looks like a big bread maker and spits out 3mm (or 1.75mm) filament neatly wound on a spool, then waste may not be too big an issue. Unfortunately, many people will just throw the bad prints away and not worry about it. What makes that worse is that filament is already pretty cheap per part and it's only going to get cheaper.

So I'm with you. It's going to be an issue. We (people like us in these forums) need to make sure we do our part and be responsible. We all need to spread the word and volunteer where we can when efforts to manage 3d waste become available.