Yes, just about every slicer out their is made for an FDM printer unfortunately. Thankfully, they provide extensive options to change how the software works with the printer.
Which bring me to today's topic...

Slicer Hell
Over the last week (..and months), I have been testing numerous configurations in many slicers to see what can be done with the Peachy.
Specifically; , Cura 15.04.6, Cura 2.3 and Craftware

As far as slicers go, theses are the "features" that are needed for the Peachy:
-Customizable & Minimal Rafting
-0.02mm Layer Resolution
-Top & Bottom Surface Printing

So how do the contenders stack up?

Cura 15.04.6
Rafting: FAIL -while rafting can be turned on, ONLY the first layer's fill can be modified. All other rafting layers are FULL fill.
Layer Resolution: Workaround - It does not support 0.02mm layers but 10X Scaling is an acceptable work-around
Output Reliability: Awesome - Very reliable gcode from what I can tell. No problems. Just be sure to delete the "Start" and "End" gcode settings first (all FDM specific)
Surface Printing: FAIL - I still don't know the root cause of this. Even set to 0.2 (standard FDM setting) it still doesn't print surfaces until tilted
Community Intention: FAIL - Yes, Cura is Free but Ultimaker sells printers too. They have a vested interest in supporting THEIR printers. See Cura 2.3 for more.
Other Items: ??

Cura 2.3
Rafting: AWESOME - Custom rafting is much easier. Cura 2.3 adds the option to specify how many FIRST layers you want along with it's Fill percentage. Score !!
Layer Resolution: Workaround - It does not support 0.02mm layers but 10X Scaling is an acceptable work-around
Output Reliability: FAIL - Printing with Cura 2.3 gcode files just prints gibberish ! You will not recognize your model. Not sure why yet. Maybe it does not support RepRap Gcode??
Surface Printing: UNKNOWN - Output was giberish.
Community Intention: FAIL - Yes, Cura is Free but some change prevents Cura 2.3 gcode from printing coherently on the Peachy.
Other Items: The UI is vastly improved !! In the preferences, you can TURN OFF settings that you don't want to see in the main UI !!! This allows a customized "Peachy" settings UI. Slicing is a bit faster and drawing the Tool visualization is like lighting now !!! Still tries to melt down my Macbook Pro during slicing.

Craftware
Rafting: AWESOME - Every layer is fully customizable. It is a bit tedious to add each line one at a time but it's only done once.
Output Reliability: FAIL - Output was giberish. It slowly moves the laser off of the print area and then twitches every once in awhile.
Surface Printing: UNKNOWN - Output was giberish.
Community Intention: Yes, Craftware is Free but CraftUnique makes their own printer "Craftbot". They claim that Craftware works with RepRap printers so long as they support "standard" gcode.
Other Items: UI is weird and messy. Takes some getting used to but it is functional. WICKED fast slicer !!! Easily 10-30x faster than Cura 2.3 !!! Adds alsorts of weird domes and fat tubes to the layers visualization. There is a legend that says what they are but it obscures the model. Displayes teh gcode on the layer visualization screen !! That's cool ! It points to the exact line of gcode that is being drawn as you go through the layers with a set of sliders.

Slic3r
Rafting: AWESOME - Easy to customize and set fill percentage
Output Reliability: Awesome - Very reliable gcode from what I can tell. No problems. Just be sure to delete the "Start" and "End" gcode settings first (all FDM specific)
Surface Printing: Awesome - No problems
Community Intention: Awesome - Slic3r is a Free and Open source community project. They do not sell a competing product so their intent of producing a slicer for the 3D Printing community will not be derailed due to competition.
Other Items: The only problem with Slic3r is that it can't manage large print volumes. This means, no 0.02mm layers and no 10x scaling. This essentially makes it unusable with the Peachy. However, they are fully aware of the issue and are in the works to providing a fix (well, a significant code rewrite for parts of Slic3r). This may take awhile but once they are done, there will be a fabulous free and open source slicer for the Peachy !

So basically, we have Cura 15.04.6.
I will see if there is a way to get Cura 2.3 (that would be soooo awesome!) or Craftware to work with the Peachy.
Peachy Specific
What if we had features just for the Peachy? What would they be?

Horizontal Supports - Because the Peachy can do full 90 degree over hangs, vertical supports are not required. However, when a part "dips" into a new layer but isn't connected to anything, it will "float" up to whatever layer does connect to something else. To fix this reliably, a HORIZONTAL Support would be perfect. Only a thin horizontal anchor would be needed.

That's all I can think of for now.
Need cookie