Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
It isn't really a matter of it being difficult, the problem is one of scale. 15kw is hard to obtain for a home user, but certainly possible.
Actually swashing around 700 amps in the primary coil and many thousands of amps in the secondary (work) coil at 30-85 thousand times a second at 230 V input without blowing up is quite technologically demanding.

There is a reason modern induction generators weren't invented until the late 60s early 70s.

Just 15KW needs a fairly massive DC transformer, a massive water-cooled capacitor bank (totally deadly if mis-touched), a massive toroid, water cooled work coil, big fat water cooled insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) and a well designed control card.

Unless you can show me a web page with schematics and proof of working induction generator over 5kW, I think I have made my point. The biggest I am aware of is ~5KW and was designed by my friend Tim Williams - who went on to design induction generators for Radyne.

Besides purchasing all the hardware, it will take weeks (if not months) of someones time to build the circuit boards, order and assemble all the parts and just hope that it all works. The project is easily on the same level as a thesis project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
I suspect I could build one with reasonable safety devices, liquid cooled coil, appropriate power (including professional installation of the sub panel) and have it running for maybe 3k USD.
Or - you can buy one brand new for around $1k. Sealed in an enclosure and working with instructions.