Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah but it's not actually anything to do with the printer - just a different type of filament.

You tried firing bronzefill ?
    probably wouldn't work, but would be fun trying :-)

Just a couple upgrades for the itty bitty. I would like to see an easy cable chain attachment system. Also, I would love to see a system that retracts a hot end when not in use. It would only have to be a few mm. BTW, I love my itty bitty V2.

Like this?

http://vid113.photobucket.com/albums...ps4kbwfn1m.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by jackal24 View Post
    Just a couple upgrades for the itty bitty. I would like to see an easy cable chain attachment system. Also, I would love to see a system that retracts a hot end when not in use. It would only have to be a few mm. BTW, I love my itty bitty V2.

I have been thinking about retracting the hot ends for a while. The video below didn't work for me, so I'm not sure what it shows. [Edit: Ahh...beerdart, so this is the spring-loaded hollow-bolt hot ends?] There is at least one rocking extruder system on Thingiverse that uses a servo and a cam to rock the whole assembly left and right, pushing the unused tip onto a metal spring to stop the ooze. There are also various hot end setups that use the filament pressure to force the hot end downward against spring pressure.

I have looked at the rocking option, but didn't immediately come up with anything I loved. The biggest challenge with is the pivot. Getting something rigid, precise and repeatable with off-the-shelf parts (3D printed and common bearings) is tough. Maybe I'll keep playing with it.

Another idea that's floating around out there is independent hot end assemblies that can be picked up by the carriage with electromagnets and parked at the side of the printer when not in use. This would pretty much have to be a bowden setup.
    Last edited by clough42; 07-06-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added more detail

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also, I would love to see a system that retracts a hot end when not in use
    Now that IS a good idea.

I've currently got one printer with a nozzle removed to avoid hassle.
    The other printer still has both nozzles attached. But it's a much better built machine and I've never had issues with the nozzle not in use. Plus I use it for dual material prints as well.

Oh and roxy - there is a filament you can print and heat to get metal object :-)
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...rinting-Powder

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Oh and Roxy - there is a filament you can print and heat to get metal object :-)
    Very Cool! I want a spool of it!!!

That stuff looks great. Have to pay out an arm plus a leg for it but heck you could print a sweet looking replacement with this filament. Now I am wanting this. Just a few pounds of it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Now that IS a good idea.

I've currently got one printer with a nozzle removed to avoid hassle.
    The other printer still has both nozzles attached. But it's a much better built machine and I've never had issues with the nozzle not in use. Plus I use it for dual material prints as well.

Oh and roxy - there is a filament you can print and heat to get metal object :-)
    Editor in Chief
    Bitsonline

Tips Appreciated But Not Expected
    BTC: 16wxHvKd3oU6SVjv6FrenqhkvRmc8t7sPy
    DASH: XqyaWxH896j9YeV1M35Gzb5gmRPmPbNDGq

I also want a pair of extruders like that!

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Ok, how about a dual extruder setup for the Pegasus 12" with fans on the extruders and dual fans to cool the object? The only real changes from the existing "state of the art" would be the Pegasus mount and getting a fan on the back side of the system.

===

In terms of crazy ideas: A microswitch that signals when you have run out of filament. Yes, it would need to *go* somewhere to actually be useful. I suppose that even without software support you could use it to fire a buzzer. With the switch on the extruder, you would have to be mighty fast to correct the problem

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    In terms of crazy ideas: A microswitch that signals when you have run out of filament. Yes, it would need to *go* somewhere to actually be useful. I suppose that even without software support you could use it to fire a buzzer. With the switch on the extruder, you would have to be mighty fast to correct the problem
    That's not a crazy idea at all! Marlin now has support for filament detection and if your setup can handle it, it will automatically reload a new spool of filament.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast