I've been noticing that this campaign for making an open standard for filament spools has been gaining some traction. Basically the idea is to have the entire 3D printing community come up with a standard size for filament spools. This would make so much stuff within the industry a lot easier. If you look at all the filament out there on the market, the spools (if it even comes on a spool) are all different sizes. The 'Mount Hole Diameter', the 'Inner Coil Diameter', and 'Outer Size Diameter' come in all different sizes. The campaign aims to create one standard for all filament manufacturers, and all 3D printers.

Check out some of the different sizes:

There are major problems, where it's impossible to find 2 filament brands that can be interchangable with one another. Do you guys think that we will ever reach a point where this changes? It would be so beneficial to the industry in my opinion. However, while filament makers, and people that use FDM 3D printers would love it, I don't know if the 3D printer manufacturers would. This prevents them from basically force feeding their own brand filament to the people that buy their printers.

It seems like the majority of people that own 3D printers support this idea, as do filament manufacturers. It's just about getting printer manufacturers on board. I think that will be a major accomplishment for this campaign, if we could get companies like 3D Sys and Makerbot on board.

Anyhow, please share your thoughts on this, and what you think we could do to help spread the word of this campaign!