Quote Originally Posted by RobDistrupol View Post
Hi all,
I'm here personally but want to be clear I have a business interest too - certainly not looking to sell anything at this stage, just doing some homework. I work for the biggest / one of the biggest European distributors of plastics - www.distrupol.com
99% of our business is granular plastics, but I'm doing a feasibility project to present a business case to start producing our own filament here in the UK. In terms of the practicalities of producing filament, we have an extrusion partner who are arguably the best in the country - plus coupled with our own polymer engineers and knowledge, I feel we have a leading edge. However my main questions at this stage are:

• What is the general perceived difference between 'budget' and 'premium' ABS filament?
  • (An expansive question I appreciate...) What currently doesn't exist in the filament market, but you wish it did? Whether material, colour, additives, performance, sales terms...?
  • Most common complaint you have about filament?
  • For the UK (or even USA members I guess), would you be prepared to pay a premium for something which was "Made In UK"?

If anyone needs any polymer advice, please do ask
TIA,
Rob
THANKS ROB - As you say budget vs. premium, you are talking about inputs, but the consumer cares about the outputs. Depending on the product range, there will be a market willingness to develop budget materials, as well as premium products from superior materials. Just as some use a plastic fork, knife and spoon at every meal, others use a highly stylized premium alloy, all the way to sterling silver for the same activity.
I am interested in a two pronged aspect of more potential for using especially soy, A.) but perhaps other veg oils, or associated materials, at least as part of the blend. When I am telling lay people, of which I am really one, not a techie, about the real potential of 3D printing, whether at home or with the kind of neighborhood public house (i.e., FEDEX, UPS, DHL, etc. printing location) from which local deliveries or pick-ups may be possible, they look at me incredulously. The filament will be able to provide a range of characteristics, from rigid to flexible. Whether custom sized fabric items, or household goods, from bric-a-brac to furniture panels, the shipments and blends or combinations of printing "ink" will have a strong influence on product successes. Do you have any direction to turn to better understand the potential for sustainable materials?
Secondarily, edible printed materials, again with regard to soy, but this time more on the protein side, than oil, but oil may be a part of the prospective printed outputs is of interest, too. We have food grade trucks, barrels and why not printers?
Made in the UK does have a connotation of quality, for some levels of product the consistency would be important, but utility, sustainability, endurance and fitness for use, flexibility and rigidity, sensory smell, touch, taste, will ll be engineered into the filaments in due course. With metals there are cathodic and corrosive forces that impact what can be used from one material to another, and some chemical properties will be better understood to allow sustaining color, achieving blends, weaving with printing, combining 3d filiment printing with select substrates, etc. This is going to bring on a whole new world. Buckle your seat belt, Dorothy. We're not in Kansas anymore.