Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Axe, I don't think it's the same with 3D Printers. Parts are usually pretty replaceable. Wear and tear isn't too much of an issue either. With PC's there is a lot more you have to worry about. I would say that if you can save 40-50% it may be worth buying a printer used. Just make sure you can trust the seller.
Actually you might be right. I could see how a PC could get more complicated when you consider all the hardware and software possibilities, plus a lot of 3D printers have open-source designs so the way they work is completely publicly known, which could make repairing it somewhat easy if you know who/where to find out how.

If I were your friend, I would just make sure that the used printer they purchase is one that they sell kits and parts for online, not one of the more "top-of-the-line" desktop printers ($1000-$2000) or ones that are fully enclosed and aren't based on an open-source design. Because the cheaper "hobby kit" printers should, in theory, be easier to service and to find free instructions online to service.

I personally would still not buy a used one, but I could understand why someone would go that route to save some money.