Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    But does anyone who's not a commercial cad designer actually NEED commercial cad software, when there's so much around that's free ?

I'd say not.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    But does anyone who's not a commercial cad designer actually NEED commercial cad software, when there's so much around that's free ?

I'd say not.
    Maybe, maybe not.

As a professional design engineer I have had the pleasure of working with many different softwares over the years and every now and then I will try a free software, just for larks. Let me tell you, there is no comparison between free and paid-for. Yes, you can do basic designs with the free stuff but to really take your designs to the next level its worth it to spend a bit on software.

CA: you bought S3D, right? Why not just use the free slicers?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.

As a professional design engineer I have had the pleasure of working with many different softwares over the years and every now and then I will try a free software, just for larks. Let me tell you, there is no comparison between free and paid-for. Yes, you can do basic designs with the free stuff but to really take your designs to the next level its worth it to spend a bit on software.

CA: you bought S3D, right? Why not just use the free slicers?
    that's easy - the only ones that work without any hassle on a replicator clone are makerware desktop, which I have a few major issues with and rep g - which, if it were a joke, would be in extremely bad taste.

The only off the shelf hassle free alternative to these two for a rep clone is simplify 3d.
    Otherwise I'd be using cura. Which is very similiar to s3d, just doesn't do x3g files.

It wasn't a case of I prefer to pay for software - there wasn't any real alternative.

with cad packages - there is a LOT of realistic alternatives to commercial packages.