Quote Originally Posted by cephdon View Post
I don't think that's a fair assessment. I know lots of people lost money, myself included, but that's not an excuse to vilify Rylan.

His actions were based on legal advice at each step. The advice changed when new legal counsel was acquired.

To make your argument stick, you need to show intent. Based on his actions, the intent does not appear to have been as you describe. If so, he didn't have to come forward at all.

The problem with this whole discussion is that a lot of people feel they are owed something. That's not true. Your money was an investment in technology development, pure and simple. Lots of companies go out of business or file bankruptcy because they couldn't make the idea work.

Yeah, his partner stole funds and Rylan made lots of attempts to remedy the situation in ways that don't make sense to those of us looking back. If he had pulled it off, we would be celebrating a new printer and might never have known what happened.

Arm chair quarterbacking doesn't make you an expert any more than it does me. We don't have the perspective he had at the time he had to make those choices.

I would prefer to see development continue, than stagnate in self-pity and righteous indignation.

@Rylan If you get your feet under you enough to keep the company going and want to finish certification, I don't mind chipping in more to help out. The amount lost was a pittance compared with the goals you set out to achieve and the potential it has.
I've been doing my best to assess this situation fairly. The problem is that at this point we have nothing much to go on but Rylan's words and his credibility needs to be established by outside sources at this point. His account of affairs is emotionally compelling and makes sense on many levels. If you think I'm being unfair though then you probably aren't one of the people that "pre-ordered" when Peachy Printer announced that the "Peachy Printer Has Arrived!", or otherwise contributed to the campaign after the funds were plundered. I did. I watched development after Kickstarter until I was convinced that progress was being made and then threw down $600 after David Boe allegedly spent it all on the house.

A wise cowboy once said "do not attribute to incompetence what can more easily be explained by malice." I don't want to believe that Rylan was malicious or dishonest, but there are so many questions. Whether malicious or incompetent, the money is gone, and not to good result from what I can tell. This project could have been so much more transparent. Seriously--the "uncut print" video? Is that supposed to bring us back on board? Why were there so few print photos published all along? Why did we never see a print start to finish before? (Seriously Rylan--you didn't think the people that were 2 years late on receiving rewards for their million dollars were "interested"?)

Compile the history of this project and put it into a kickstarter video for a new project to fix this situation. Would you back it? There is part of me that still wants to believe but you better believe I'm once bitten twice shy. There are all kinds of reasons that projects like this fail. I have listened to as many as I can find. I find the support that Rylan got out of just releasing the uncut print video kind of heart warming but also a bit terrifying--as if the existence of some sort of prototype is all they need. I'm just sayin--y'all are about to start receiving a lot of email offers for stuff that sounds too good to be true (a.i. i.o.t. bridges in arkansas).

I don't need to prove Rylan's intentions to lose faith in his credibility. I'm sure not wallowing in anything--I'm trying to understand and I'm trying to help other people to do the same. I struggle to contain my anger in forums but I think I do a pretty good job by and large. I don't think I have to argue very hard to show that there are questions yet to be answered. It seems to me that you are taking a lot for granted. As far as I'm concerned, Rylan's story is a series of claims and allegations that will be either proven true or false over time. I'll reserve full judgement at least until after I hear the verdict of the legal system.

If you see a 3D printer, fine. So far I'm convinced that it meets the minimum standard to be a 2.5D printer. I'm not convinced funds were well managed. I'm not convinced it is making quality 3D prints. I want justice all around. I want honest hard working tinkerer inventors to succeed with their necessary ideas and I want to see a community of crowdfunding thrive. I wish Rylan well. Redemption for him would make me feel redeemed as well to some degree.

I think Rylan should just give us a video of the printer making a standard benchmark print. Uncut--start to finish. If lighting interferes with displaying detail at the end of the print--turn on the lights. Take the print off the printer and set it on the table. Leaving the camera on the tripod--zoom in for full detail. Focus to full depth of field. Pause--don't move the camera, don't move the focus or the zoom--just let it sit. Then show us how it gets removed from the screen and what the bottom looks like, Then take some high resolution photographs of the same model without bokeh effect--with crisp focus and full depth of field and post them for all to see. That process has been sorely lacking all along.

http://diffendaffer.com/peachy-print...-2-5d-printer/