Close

Thread: Diy it?

Hybrid View

Student
    @Rylan
    The structural parts were laser cut from "ABS", correct?
    Did you experiment with Acrylic? Did it work?

Apparently, laser cutting ABS produces Hydrogen Cyanide...sooooo, my local maker space will not allow it to be used even though it is well vented. Can't say I blame them!

Acrylic is a safe plastic to laser cut.
    I got to test out the cutter tonight and I cut a few parts. Just need to review to assembly instructions to test them out. :-)

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by thej View Post
    @Rylan
    The structural parts were laser cut from "ABS", correct?
    Did you experiment with Acrylic? Did it work?

Apparently, laser cutting ABS produces Hydrogen Cyanide...sooooo, my local maker space will not allow it to be used even though it is well vented. Can't say I blame them!

Acrylic is a safe plastic to laser cut.
    I got to test out the cutter tonight and I cut a few parts. Just need to review to assembly instructions to test them out. :-)
    Acrylic works and its is what we original planed to make printers with.. abs is better because acrylic often breaks on the fine snap fit tabs, but it still works
    and a bit of hot glue can solve any problems you have with it. I think that 1/8 inch birch plywood would also work and so would petg. petg would be the strongest.

We have been doing the parts in 3mm thick plastic but because we designed in openScad it should be relatively easy to cut parts from other thicknesses
    try playing with the SheetThickness variable in the openSCad files.

Sorry Im not in here answering more questions right now.. Im in the middle of moving, so I spending lots of time boxing and cleaning, loading trucks etc.