Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
As an injection molder I can say that this isn't strictly true. Yes, it does shrink, but all plastics do. Abs is chosen in our industry for mechanical properties first and foremost (cost is definitely second), not for shrinkage, although moldability is a high priority for guys like me who are the ones that have to use it. Shrinkage factors are accounted for during development of the tool.

I like molding with abs for a few reasons, but ease of ejection isn't one of them.

A properly designed tool can eject it's parts with only enough shrinkage to release a surface texture, and even then we rely on draft angle.

That all being said, I walked in here thinking abs would be nice to use, for previously mentioned properties. Do you guys have any more links or information to alternatives that I can read?

I'm very much new and totally inexperienced with 3d printing.
Thanks to bring your experience in here, appreciated.

Check out proto-pasta.com and www.polymaker.com, they have interesting filament. I'm using regularly their high temperature carbon fiber PLA and polycarbonate. Polymaker has also a Kickstarter campaign going on for a new filament that you can smooth out with IPA and a little nebuliser they will sell.