Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    . I still have yet had some one straight out tell me that they CAN 3D print or laser cut any thing this small. Hmm..
    maybe because you've yet to actually tell anyone exactly what size you need :-)
    The problem is at your end - not anyone elses.

were you to say something like: 'I need gears with 6 teeth, 6mm diameter and 2 mm thick with a 1mm hole through the middle.
    Then I suspect you'd get a lot more replies :-)

This is an international forum, people here from all over the world :-)

Okay as I'm a nice guy here's a quick openscad script I just done that makes gears.

// CA's mini gears
    $fn=100;

nt=8; // number of teeth
    tt=1.2; // width of gear teeth
    lt=1.5; // length of gear teeth
    gd=6; // overall gear diameter
    gt=1; // gear thickness
    ch=1; // centre hole size
    ns=100; // sides in central hole - 6 for hex fitting, 100 for round

difference() {
    cylinder(d=gd-lt*1.5,h=gt);
    cylinder(d=ch,h=gt,$fn=ns);
    } // end diff

difference() {
    for(r=[1:nt]) {
    rotate([0,0,(360/nt)*r]) translate([0,lt,gt/2]) cube([tt,lt,gt],center=true);
    }
    cylinder(d=ch,h=gt,$fn=ns);
    } // end difference
    Copy and paste everything in the quote window into openscad and press f5 to see a quick render and f6 to render for export. Can be exported as .stl, off, amf, dxg etc
    All numbers are in millimetres.

Changing the numbers at the top changes exactly what it says to the right of the number :-)

Picture of gear with settings currently in script:

Work out what size gear you want. Find out what format the laser cutter people or whoever want it in. generate it, export it and viola - job done.
    It might need tweaking, let me know if a particular set of numbers does something weird.
    I tend to wing the maths and just fettle till it does what i want it to, by which time I generally have no idea how I got there :-)

And just for a laugh, when my current print is done I'll try and see just how small a gear I can print :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.