Sure will.

I have an odd way of changing filament if I'm not worried about a color change occurring. Say I'm going from black ABS to white ABS. What I do is snip the filament off about 10mm above the last spot on the extruder before it dives in and disappears. I then stick a piece of paper towel over that cut end to catch plastic bits and I use the tip of an xacto knife to drill a small conical hole into the end of the filament. I then sharpen the other end of my new white filament that is coming in. Next I hold the new filament up to the extruder and estimate how far it is from that place I snipped that black off at and about 1/3 of the way into the hotend barrel. I mark that on my white filament. Finally, I start the print and as the filament begins to move down I place that sharp point of the white filament into the conical hole of the black filament and gently push to keep then together until the mark on the white filament reaches the extruder. That let's me know the new white filament is in the hot end and being grabbed by the hobbed bolt. And, the sharp filament end inside the conical filament hole is a perfect guide so nothing get's misaligned as the hot end is entered. Then I let go and all is done. It always makes for an interesting color transition too.

I suppose if your really wanted to get clever, you could cut short sections of various colors and then insert them using this method in any order making very fun color variations. Plus, you never have to pause the print if you get good at making that cut, drilling the hole and being ready before the filament gets pulled inside the extruder. Actually, as I think about it, you could cut your sections and predrill and sharpen. Then as you watch a piece about to disappear, you just hold the new one right behind it and so on until you are done. I might just have to play with that one day.

I find it a fast and simple technique. If I change material types, then I have to waste a bit of filament until the new material is coming out. But, we waste so much filament anyway, I don't even sweat that anymore.

I'll report back if I try the "pause/heatgun" technique.