Close

Branch Technology Launches 3D Printing Challenge for Homes

Last year, Branch Technology launched a competition that asked participants to design 3D printed, single-family homes using the company's patented Cellular Fabrication Technology. The competition drew to a close last month, and now Branch Technology has announced the three winners. In first place was "Curve Appeal" by WATG Chicago, while the Visionary Award went to a team from City College of New York for "HOME(LESS) + HOUSING." The People's Choice Award went to "Urban LEAF," by a design team from Spiru Haret University in Bucharest, Romania. Read more about these designs at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/131259/branch-technology-design/

Don't get me wrong, while these designs are solid, can't there be improvements that one can see right away? I get that their design is suppose to be futuristic looking, but it doesn't need to come straight out of a sci-fi movie does it? One such improvement could be with indoor patio and fireplace in such a small space. Why not have a stairway on the slope of the house to the upper area where there can be an outdoor patio with some sun? The living room is extremely basic and could have some immediate improvements. I do not want to be cynical as I am sure they put a lot of work in this design, but I wish they reached out to the community for some quick insight on ways of improvement to their model. Regardless, this is a great step to show the community what is possible.

I would love love love to get in on this action of home design. Is there a link you could provide to create one ourselves? Hopefully open source to share ideas.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    one of the biggest issues with that kind of housing - particularly in the uk - is getting plannig permission.

Shelter for the homeless came second, and If it eventually helps even one homeless person - then I guess the competition would have been worthwhile.

[QUOTE= Shelter for the homeless came second, and If it eventually helps even one homeless person - then I guess the competition would have been worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

Very true and for right now, these housing designs are still in their infant stage. Once more people become involved and this really goes open source it will really take off. I am so pumped for this.