Close

Hybrid View

I get better results with abs than with pla
    but
    with abs I get the corner lifting
    with pla I get strings
    To resolve my abs corner lifting I add a custom brim to my print, about 5 to 10mm wide, depending on the size of the print, and 0.5mm thick. That does the trick for me. Then I trim off post print. I think the secret formula has something to do with how tall the print is. The taller the print, the more time it has on the hot bed, and a wider brim is needed. It's proportional I think.
    to make abs or pla stick to my bed I use http://www.geckotek3d.com/
    I love it. no tape no glue no muss no fuss
    But always remember Levelness is next to Godliness

...and the almighty z offset

Thanks for the information. A mate also said he only uses ABS.

I have not eventuated into doing changes for extra brim as yet. I have not worked that out yet but I have loaded a couple of programs to make changes. I guess I was not printing the easiest thing with ABS being roughly five inches long and 1.5 inches wide and very thin sides. Nice GeckoTec plate you are using. There is no trouble with the Kapton and diluted PVA glue as it takes over 5 minutes for me to pry off say a 2 inch by 2 inch base even when it is cold. But I will try the ABS and thinners mixture next time with ABS. With the ABS lifting on the ends on the above print I do not think it was from lack of grip to the bed but really excessive force from the bending.

I have been getting the strings with the ABS but not a problem so far but after doing as much as you have printed I suppose it becomes a pain.

Lowering the temperature for the first few rows like what was mentioned here to help stop the ends curling up seemed to help and will get back to the ABS soon.
    Last edited by Firepower; 05-02-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but wanted to ask you about your geckoTek.

The idea of not having to use anything special (tape, glue, abs juice, etc) in order to print pla/abs/etc sounds REALLY appealing to me. Geckotek however isn't cheap and the return on investment seems as if it would take awhile.

I have been considering getting one, but am curious about its longevity. Any idea how long before you would have to replace it? Are there any downsides that you have experienced?