Close

Need help to design a specimen.

Hello guys, I am new to 3d printing and materials and working on a university project based on study of applications of 3d printers. I need to design a specimen which can be made with any of the plastics PLA or ABS. I've designed the basic model of the specimen in Autodesk 123D Design softwareUntitled.stl I need to justify and find the dimensions of this specimen using some technical information for maximum strength until failure. It is a pin joint in the centre and the maximum load in 1000N. I need to find the upper and the lower limits of the variables and the mechanism of failure expected. I'll be very grateful if you guys could help me find some related information. Your help will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    don't understand what you want - but the part loads into simplify3d without any hassle - so that's a good start :-)

But what do you want done with it ?

What I want is the dimensions of this specimen so it can withstand a maximum force of 1000N using the standard properties of PLA or ABS materials also I can email you some details of what my professor is upto and what he wants.

Well... I think you should look up a Finite Element Model soft and try to model your part and load in it. Be careful as to how you modelize your infill in it. Probably won't be easy. Probably has a lot of influence on the result.

Regarding the failure mecanism... I would suggest to destroy smaller scaled models with smaller weights : that will give you a good idea of what to expect while still being easy to carry out. Make the nbr of shells / infill rate / infill template vary. I think with 20 tests you should have a good start on the overall subject.

Student
    The other replies are good but as with all academic studies start with prior art research, I am not sure if you will find any sound publications but I do know that I have seen academics completing tensile strength tests of 3D printed samples of varying build orientations on Instron machines here in Australia. You may be able to use their work to accurately define the material properties of your 3D print.