Close

Hybrid View

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    Russ and Jeff, how do the scans look when you open then in a 3d program? Have you tried that? I'd be interested in opening one and seeing what the polygon organization is. If the scanner can get you 90% of the way there with a complex object then maybe some post production in 3DS Max, Rhino, etc., would be good.

As with any manufacturing process there is rarely a single button that you push and get a perfect end product. I'm not implying that you guys expect that but many people want the reward without having to earn it. If you have a scan that I could play with I'd love to do that. I can take about any format. I'd like to see how much work it would take to make a scan really nice. I've been modeling in 3d for 19 years and have some pretty good tricks up my sleeve.
    Hi Rob, Meshmixer is my go-to software for editing mesh files. I know Geomagic is supposed to be good but my reseller wants $8k for a license. I have been messing around with Blender too but haven't spent enough time with it to be proficient. I also have Sculptris and Cubify Sculpt but haven't made the time to sit down and learn how to use them.

I have not done any editing at all of anything I have scanned with the Digitizer, but depending on the size and complexity of the object you get anywhere from 50k to 250k triangles. I have gotten as many as 350k triangles doing head shots with my Sense, especially if the subject has complex hair. I do edit mesh files of people that we have scanned with the Sense, using Meshmixer.

Tell you what, I should probably just upload something to our Thingiverse account then post the URL here for you. I'll try to get that done some time next week. This store is getting busier and busier and it's hard to find time to get everything done LOL!
    Last edited by American 3D Printing; 03-22-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Fix typos