RobH2 - I got one of the very early machines, have upgraded the software each time and I have yet to get a scan that gives me a better result than some of the photo converter software only solutions. Yes I have looked at the file with several 3d softwares and yes they can be fixed, but . . . . The Idea is to take an object, put it on the turntable, hit scan, then print it! We are so far away from that! I have even tried making objects to use as test scan objects just so I can see what the software is trying to do! So far that is a dead end street. What works on one object does not work every time on every object. I have scanned a few figures (O scale for my modeling), sometimes we end up with a chin, most time we don't. Facial features are almost non existent with these small items. It's almost like you need to scan something two or three times as big as what you want to print in order to get something reasonable. If that is the case then the laser / camera / scanner part is way to coarse of resolution to do small objects. I don't have a good answer for you. The controlling software is very easy to use, the resultant files stink! Russ