Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there not specification sheets available?

It seems to me like the 3d printing industry is overly generic. The materials one particular manufacturer of filament might use could very well be entirely different grades compared to another.

Abs has hundreds, possibly over a thousand unique grades, and the same goes for every other polymer on the market. In my field we use material and grade specific spec sheets with exact Tg, melt points, processing temps, drying requirements, and a full list of mechanical properties.

I'd like to know if this data is available for filament, or if it's just "abs" or "nylon" that you buy and hope for the best.

Drying polymers is one of the things I am very well versed in also, and it looks like, again, this is something the 3d printing world has been left out on. "Humidity controls" are improper for drying and long term storage at elevated temperatures is one of the worst possible things you can do to a resin... yet I see a lot of people doing exactly that.

I want to start a thread on this stuff but there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity here.