Close

Can See Modeling Detail in Final Print

In parts I have designed you can see the modeling detail in the final print, ie: the individual circles, rectangles, lines, etc that make up the structure as a whole.

I am using Fusion 360 for design, Simply 3D, and a Flashforge printer with ABS.

Below is an example image which is a screenshot from Simply 3D. It is a simple structure that started with two circles with a line drawn between them to close them up. And then fillet on all of the edges. The final print shows the lines just like you see in the image. I would like to see straight lines, or similar, and not the original drawing artifacts.

I'm new to the design world so I am sure there is something I am missing here...

Thanks for any help in advance!

drawing.jpg
    Last edited by reddrum; 04-02-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    That is simplify 3D and the way it creates the top and bottom layers, nothing you can do besides increasing the resolution will improve that maze of printing lines. , try a different fill pattern.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what you are looking at is the image produced AFTER you click: prepare to print.

Before that you can see the model on the print bed and by clicking the various symbols on the VIEW menu, you can change the way the program shows you the model in a lot of different ways.
    I don't actually understand what it is you want to see.
    But looking at the prepared for print image, ie: how the print head will lay down the plastic - probably isn't it :-)

You WILL never see the same image you see in your cad package as s3d is not a cad package. It shows the stl file and only the stl file. It can however show it in a variety of different ways.

Can I suggest you:
    1) read the simplify3d manual.
    2) go to the simplify3d website and watch some of the tutorial videos.

You say you are new to 3d printing. So the best thing you can do is read the instructions that come with the software and hardware :-)
    If everybody did that there would be 90% fewer threads on this forum.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-04-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Actually that is what I see what I print. ;-) That is from the prepare to print which is effectively "print preview" in Simplify 3d showing the path the extruder will take and it *IS* exactly what the print looks like. Your statement is incorrect.

I did not say I was new to 3d printing. I said I was new to CAD. Quite a difference.

You are presumptuous that I have not looked over the Simplify 3d information - I have. Since I am new to CAD I do not know if the problem is with the export or something in Simplify 3d, hence the question.

Forums are for people to asks questions that others may know the answers to. It is what they are for!

then ask a question that actually makes sense.
    So far you haven't.

The answer I gave made the most sense based on what you actually asked.
    Don't get annoyed if your question is misunderstood.
    But ask it in a way that makes more sense.

The final print shows the lines just like you see in the image. I would like to see straight lines, or similar, and not the original drawing artifacts.
    That does not make sense.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-04-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    then ask a question that actually makes sense.
    So far you haven't.

The answer I gave made the most sense based on what you actually asked.
    Don't get annoyed if your question is misunderstood.
    But ask it in a way that makes more sense.

That does not make sense.
    He means he want's all of the print on the top layer to be in parallel lines, not tracing the outline of the object.

Personally? I think he has it set to Concentric - so it does the top layer from the outside in until it reaches the centre.

He needs to change it to a Linear top/bottom infill pattern, or at least that's what I'm getting from the badly worded question.

Check this out redrum, it explains the fill patterns better, this is your problem and this is how you fix it.
    http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/infill

slicer, simplify3D, all refer to the same patterns.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Ah - okay that almost makes sense. ;-)