Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Okay so first pla print on an unheated bed - complete failure. Zero stick.
    2nd print on heated bed at 50c - perfect.

So the first thing to know about this stuff - you MUST have a heated bed.
    Got a printer with an unheated bed - DO NOT BUY THIS !

So two little clips printed perfect.
    Right now for something a bit more complicated.
    I'm going for a 5x5 pinboard.

The pinboard is something I designed a while back but never managed to get a clean print of. A small 5x5 has 25 pins, encapsulated in a base.
    One of these: http://www.amazon.com/Large-Prints-I...ords=pin+shape

The problem is getting it off the bed in one piece and also the fact that if you calibrate too tight the pins fuse to the base and don't move.
    My best effort to date was a 3x3 grid with 6 working pins.
    So I've got the printbite calibrated a lot 'looser' than I usually do. No squash on the first layer.
    I'm also printing it a bit too fast - forget to change print speed from 70mm/s to 40.
    In fact none of the settings are what I'd call ideal for this print.

So if this does work I'll be pretty impressed.

Possibly enough to leave the printer working overnight on the big 20x30 pinboard file :-)

Oh yeah for these tests I'm using free filament I got at tct from www.3dfilaments.ie
    Waste not want not :-)

The only annoying thing so far is having to wait for the bed to cool before removing the print.
    40c and it's stuck solid.

tum te tum te tum, 34c - no joy. I am going to need some kind of cooler lol

Oh yeah and I suspect you've all spotted my mistake. Should have spent an extra £3 and got the 30x30 sheet. That way I'd have two full sized plates.
    Hind sight - got to love the scenery - 30.8, no sign of moving, So I can drop the bed temp down to 30c and it should still stick well - not a total waste of time then. IR thermometer guns - what do you know blue bottles are cold blooded. Same temp as the window frame it's on, tiddle tee tum te tum tee tiddle - wonder if I blow on it it'll cool quicker - nope, fanning with card isn't helping either - Ah ha ! 29c is the magic temperature, popped right off.

Print is good. But I think I need to refine the design and make the tolearances a little larger, or maybe just print a lot slower. 22 pins working - 2 snapped off when i hit them with a hammer :-)

So yep, this stuff does seem to work. And that's enought for tonight.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-22-2016 at 05:50 PM.