Close

Source for variegated color filament?

Hello,
    I would like to know if there is a source for ABS or PLA filament in variegated colors? I don't mean simply various discrete colors, I would like a single strand filament that changes color continuously, with one color blending into the next every few inches of filament length so that prints have a "tie-dyed" look about them. I would think this would be a fairly simple manufacturing process but I have been unable to find such a product. Anyone? Anyone?
    -RedDawg

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I can find variegated nylon embroidery thread, but not 1.75mm stuff.

Also, I think I'd want a meter of each color, not inches.

Closest thing I've seen is stick filament. They have an indiegogo campaign going, but it's not anywhere near its goal and only has nine days to go. I don't think there's enough demand to support production of this type of filament.

Alternatively, have you considered building an extruder to accomplish something similar? There's this one that uses sharpies, or this one that mixes filaments in a melt chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    Closest thing I've seen is stick filament. They have an indiegogo campaign going, but it's not anywhere near its goal and only has nine days to go. I don't think there's enough demand to support production of this type of filament.

Alternatively, have you considered building an extruder to accomplish something similar? There's this one that uses sharpies, or this one that mixes filaments in a melt chamber.
    I've seen the stick filament concept and judge it too labor intensive, besides I want spools of continuous filament, e.g., 2 kG worth. Machine takes 3mm diameter. I sent a link about the 3-extruder mixing chamber to the maker asking if they thought it could be adapted to the machine. No response yet.

Engineer
    goto makergear's website. www.makergear.com right on the homepage, second picture there is some white/blue colored swirly prints. those were done with sharpies to add color to the filament as it entered the machine.

Interesting gadget here that may solve my problem. I'm thinking that if I use a narrow throat feed hopper and stoke it with alternating color pellets, it should do what I want it to. Thoughts?