Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    I looked at that site. They don't show any examples of anything they've made with their device, and from what they say about it, it doesn't sound like they're selling a complete machine that's ready to work. I have my doubts about how well any inkjet ink would adhere to the plastics used for FFF printing; maybe the "Hard coating fluid" they sell is supposed to keep it from coming off. Here's what they say on their site:

"Lunavast CrafteHbot has mechanism of fused deposition manufacturing (FDM) 3D Printer with hacked inkjet color 2D printer, which full-color prints to external surface of a 3D printed object.

CrafteHbot is a FDM 3D Printer Kit. After 3D Printing, its color inkjet 2D printer will full-color prints to the 3d printed object by rotating it so the surface of object can be color printed from different angles. Lunavast calls this printing method as "Direct to Object" technology, which enables full color 3D printing. This technology is currently patent pending.

Since the kit does not include inkjet printer, users need to source a specified secondhand inkjet printer or purchase separately on the online store of Lunavast.Then, hack it to mount on the 3D Printer.

As the ink spraying distance of the inkjet printer is just within 10mm, in case the 3D printed objects have too complecated shape, they must be divided to several pieces so that the entire surface can be painted. Then, the all pieces can be assembled."

Yeah, while i give them credit for trying, its hard to imagine that it will lead to anything other than erratic results. Who knows, maybe ill be surprised.