Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by davide445 View Post
    Difficult to understand the complete workflow.
    In that perspective you suggest we need to use a CAD and remodel from scratch the object, using the mesh just as reference to ease the work.
    I suppose this is just fine for mechanical parts with easy geometry, made from a mixture of solid primitives.
    But with more complex objects such as eyewear or the propeller will be not better to have the full mesh, using specialized tools such as VRMesh Reverse, 3dreshaper Meteor and SpaceClaim to first reconstruct the complete mesh and next model a complete solid using semiautomatic generation tools that will use the complex mesh as guide?
    Have you got an image of the eyewear you can share?
    For most reverse engineering applications (depending the reason for RE and the data format they require) you're using the mesh as your template/guide and cleaning the mesh serves little to no point. It will only make the data less accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by JSenior View Post
    Have you got an image of the eyewear you can share?
    For most reverse engineering applications (depending the reason for RE and the data format they require) you're using the mesh as your template/guide and cleaning the mesh serves little to no point. It will only make the data less accurate.
    Attached the first test scan, only of the frontal part without the temples
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by davide445 View Post
    Attached the first test scan, only of the frontal part without the temples
    For the basic shape you're going to want to create a surface over the front face and then draw around the profile of the glasses, project this on your surface and delete the excess. Once you have the basic curved shape the extrude it by x mm (assuming it is consistent) and can add some rads to the edges. If the lenses are recessed you can make a cutter using a section of what you've already created.

You can do this in Spaceclaim/Rhino/Most other solid modellers (It can be done in Designspark but creating the front face is difficult as there are no blend/surfacing tools.) There's no point trying in a mesh program however, as you won't get consistent sharp edges. Depending how clean your mesh is, you may want to smooth the front face to be able to create a smoother surface.

This will all take you time to learn however. When I purchased my first scanner (and I was using CAD before this) I spent 6 months doing no paid work before I was comfortable taking on clients projects.

Staff Engineer
    It looks like the first step is to resolve the two scans you got of that shark tooth into one. Have you been able to do that with the software supplied with your David scanner? I agree - you don't need reverse engineering to get from a STL file like that (once you've unified and cleaned it up to produce a water-tight mesh) to print.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It looks like the first step is to resolve the two scans you got of that shark tooth into one. Have you been able to do that with the software supplied with your David scanner? I agree - you don't need reverse engineering to get from a STL file like that (once you've unified and cleaned it up to produce a water-tight mesh) to print.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    I was able to use DAVID sw to create the full STL model and print it.
    Now back on my original task of RE the eyewear, tested SpaceClaim and a bit Rhino.
    Pretty similar features (STL cutting and contours blending or just reskinning), did find difficult to understand in what kind of RE projects will be advantageous using a solid CAD such as SpaceClaim vs a surface oriented CAD such as Rhino.

Once the love affair with 3D scanners has subsided I bet you end up just modelling it from scratch(like SF suggested).

No, but seriously, you could model a propeller in maybe 1000 vertices.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihonddd View Post
    Once the love affair with 3D scanners has subsided I bet you end up just modelling it from scratch(like SF suggested).

No, but seriously, you could model a propeller in maybe 1000 vertices.
    For the propeller might be the best idea, for the eyewear I'm now working on having a 3d mesh as a guide is really useful.
    Every case will need to right tools.

So SpaceClaim it's really good but simply cost too much for the features.
    Rhino does have the same features (mesh import, slicing, countours blending, resurfacing) but I didn't find myself comfortable with the whole UX.
    Any other option in the same Rhino price range?

Create eyewear bow from zero would be long, the curve is changing differently in the upper and lower side, also the thickness is changing in different parts and from top to bottom.
    What would you use to model this, for a price tag such as Rhino.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123